Sunday, August 10, 2008

A lot has been going on

I didn't realize that it's been since June that I last posted here.

Work has not been good. We have had a few lay offs and, just when you think we are at the minimum amount of people we can have, they lay off 4 more people. I have survived them all so far. They even let 4 office people go because the company in Florida is taking over things. I am not sure what is going to happen. There are very, very few jobs around here that pay any decent money. Most employers pay around $8.00hr if you are lucky enough to get one. We are still holding out hope that in Sept there will be a contract or 2 for us. It's very sad to think of this company that one employed over 200 or so people down to less than 40.

This is not the only story like this one. Here in Newark, we have a Chrysler plant that will be closing down. If they haven't already. A lot of people have already accepted pkgs to take an early leave. I found out that this plant at one time made tanks. They went to making an SUV but, right now can't remember which one. The plant was put up for sale but, have not looked into whether it was bought or not.

A very nice restaurant down the street called Bennigan's also closed there doors last week or the week before. We were there a week before they closed and had an excellent meal.

The same thing is happening all over the place. It is really bad with all of these people out of work and no place to go to.

The other thing that happened is, I am a creature of habit. I always have my car locked in the driveway. Even if I am going out again in an hour. It is ALWAYS locked. Anyway... we always eat out on the weekends. At least once a day. Yesterday was Taco Bell day to try their new fajitas. When we got back, I was out of the car before Rachel was and normally I would wait for her to get out then lock the door. For some unknown reason, I didn't wait for her and I just went in to the house. Never thinking about locking the car up. I went to bed at 10:30pm and she stayed up another 10 mins watching the Olympics. When we went to go grocery shopping today, she noticed her door was not fully shut, but shut enough to turn the light off. The spoons I keep in the arm rest were left on the seat and the deposit slips and envelopes were put on the back seat. (for whatever reason). The insurance and registration cards were still there. That was the first thing I looked for. My license plate was still on also. We did call the police non-emergency when we got back from the store and made a report. They entered it into the database but did not make a report about it because nothing was taken and nothing was damaged. I made it very easy for them. It won't happen again that's for sure.

We were under a tornado watch this afternoon up to 12:45pm. We had thunder but, that was about it. It has not been as humid as it has been and when I got back from riding my bike yesterday morning, I got the kitchen curtains down and the cutains in my room washed and ironed and put back. While they were in the wash, I washed the windows inside and out. Rachel and I also got the front lawn mowed and I weeded while she did her have of the lawn. It was so nice to be able to get outside and do something. This morning when I got back from my bike ride, I got our bedroom curtain washed and dried and put back and also the crtains in the back room where Doug has his computer. The air conditioner has actually been down a couple of days now. So nice not to have to listen to that. Such a nice breeze coming in the window now. I wish it could stay like this year round.

I guess that's it for now. There's more but, this is long enough.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Sandie said...

Glad to see you back, Bunny! You were missed. Sorry to hear about the work situation there. Hope things pick up.

I am the same with regard to car. We always have our car locked.